Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Life Has Been a Poor Attempt To Imitate the Man. I'm Just a Living Legacy to the Leader of the Band

It would be trite to boil down our father's influence to mere pop culture references. "Some dad's are like Archie Bunker and others are like Ward Cleaver..." It makes for a nice Hallmark moment, but it doesn't offer what our fathers offer us.

My solid liberal beliefs and by extension my sisters solid conservative beliefs extend from our fathers no nonsense, no bullshit attitude. My father was a WWII vet. Hence, my reverence toward the "greatest generation" that I DO believe in. He was awarded three bronze stars in the European theater. Should have been awarded a purple heart but refused to have his commanding officer put in for one because his injury "wasn't that bad". He would never tell a 'blood and guts' story. He took all that he saw and lived and died with it. He would regale us with humorous stories that made the world on the brink seem like a "crazy day at work".

He also worked for the local fire department for 25 years. He was a driver which means he was pretty damned good at his job. He loved listening to his Hank Williams albums and singing along (badly). He was surprisingly a good cook and it was always the attention to details he paid heed to. When big stuff went wrong, it was water off a ducks back...but God Forbid little Blue or little Red sis forgot to take out the trash.

I never took the opportunity to tell my father in his life what he meant to me but I have spent the rest of my life understanding his lessons. Thank you Dad and Happy Fathers day to you, and to all fathers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment