Sunday, June 12, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different...

I will talk about politics all day long. I will breath fire and brimstone and raise holy hell at any right winger and even my vitriol will hit some of my lefty brethren. Today is not that day. Today I harken back to a more innocent time when I never heard of the "Woodstock" that hadn't happened yet or was still to new in our consciousness, to a time when astronauts and going to the moon was a huge bit of news in our culture. Richard Nixon was president. William Milliken was the new governor in the State of Michigan. The Internet was just about to have computer scientists wetting their pants and even Sesame Street was an idea not yet brought to fruition. At the risk of sounding condescending or remembering things the way they weren't it WAS a simpler time.

It was also a time lil Blue would be taught by a teacher that was nearly the perfect Kindergarten teacher. Mrs. Marjorie Gauntlett understood what the word "Kindergarten" is Childrens Garden. She gave many young kids a chance to grow. Gave them a gentle hand to do the things the right way. Constant teaching of how to do things the correct way. Repeating the good lessons our parents gave us to do things the correct way. She taught us to stand for ourselves. Mrs. Gauntlett was known for her yearly circus of kindergartners. The 5 year old princesses, the ringmaster, I remember being an "Emmett Kelly" style sad clown. She also gave many a student teachers the same helpful, gentle guidance toward their career in primary
education.

As you can see this is a hail and farewell to a fine person. Mrs. Gauntlett though you did not know it you helped create "Ole Blue" and I thank you for all your kind teachings and like my parents (and as you were my first teacher you had that much sway back then) you helped me do the right things and allowed me to stand up for me and for that and any of us that were taught by you this is how you will live forever. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment