Friday, September 23, 2011

I can't think of a witty title

So I took a vacation in August that allowed me to take a month sabbatical. In the midst of said vacation, Ole Blue got engaged, started planning his wedding and made things happy in his life. Along the way, I went back to school for my sixth consecutive semester and started to realize the sabbatical from politics outside of the few snarky comments I make under my real name were actually more healthful and easy for my psyche. I got lazy. I almost decided to disband the Blue conceit I allow for myself.

As beautiful as reality can be it also can be a saddening, maddening kick in the balls. Yesterday everything was good I was fighting (lovingly) with sweetie over our upcoming wedding cake and nuptials then I got news that showed me how lazy I was becoming. A name to some of you, a prophet to others and an all round good guy with biting insight died of a massive heart attack at the age of 34. Quincey (Big Dog On Em) Ivey, A man who was from Detroit, who created at least 4 pages on facebook and not only had a foot in the political pond but also had great taste in music, a wonderful sense of humor and knew his sports; silenced. One moment he was arguing about Troy Davis, joking about the Lions being underrated and posting a great video....then I read he passed. I cried. His was a voice that not only I looked forward to but his acceptance of a point well made with a simple "True Dat" was a stamp of approval that a lot of his friends look forward to. I know I did.

He also created a site called "Ghettonewz America". It was held to high journalistic standards and his was the voice that made it happen. He had a page called Mr. Know it All that allowed all sides to argue, mock and never fully resolve but allowed us to show we are know it alls. One of my favorite memories has nothing to do with politics, we belong to a group called Musical Thoughts where we escaped political talk and we had a "cheese" war. We went to find the cheesiest music videos we could find. Everything from Britney Spears to Justin Bieber was used...I'm proud to say it was the one time I got the "best" of him.

But it was in politics that Q, really shined. He asked for no quarter but that damn sure meant he gave none. He didn't mind an opinion that differed from his but you better have something better than Fox News or Huffington post. He wasn't going to give you a parroted view point from MSNBC, he was going to come strong and come proper. He wouldn't let you parrot his views either, you better have your own opinions. On an unusual view point for a liberal, he did NOT consider Bradley Manning a hero. I had his back there. He took pure hell from a lot of his friends even called a teabagger by some. He held firm to his beliefs. Quincey, Big Dog or Q whatever you are called my friend, you are a true American, and come the day we finally meet  on the other side, you can tell me the truth about "Ghettonewz Heaven". I am sure I will be rapt...True Dat!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for A Solid and very on point description of our friend. Q is forever All the way Live! He is smiling on all of us with a watchful eye at the same time. We Celebrating you Q! Much Love:0)
    aka Shelley Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 10 years after Q left, a FB "Memory" made its way into my feed. Q was bigger than life in so many ways, none bigger than his heart...ironically. 5 months before my dad left, Q was an everyday light in my life. Whether he agreed or disagreed with your POV, he loved you. BIG LOVE!!! Q wrote on my life.
    True dat!!!

    ReplyDelete