Thursday, January 19, 2012

Search for Tomorrow: a SOPA opera

Let's get one thing off the bat right now, I don't necessarily disagree with protecting ones intellectual property. The person that came up with the idea richly deserves the spoils for their hard work. That's the one thing about the conservative ideal I do agree with. A great turn of a phrase, a wonderful movement in a opera or great line in our favorite song belongs to the creator of that speech, opera or song. A great idea in business belongs to that person. I think we get the gist here.

I write under the nom de plume "A_Blues_Clue". Clearly I took that from the kids show "Blue's Clues". I have taken great strides to differentiate between the left wing, blue state rantings of a frustrated American and the cute way for children to put two and two together. Now my blog and nom de plume have never been given that dreadful cease and desist order from the creators so I believe that I have not lifted intellectual property but rather covered my bases so there is no confusion between this http://www.dvddisk.net/media/import/img_disk/blues-clues-coloring-pages.jpg and my little ego boost.

While I believe that intellectual property does belong to the creator, there is a dual responsibility in this. We don't need Representative Lamar S. Smith or Senator Marco Rubio to curtail internet rights and trample on the Constitutional issues of free speech. The creator of the great idea they have has every opportunity to copywrite, patent, market whatever his or her idea so that the world sees this idea is theirs!

I know as a college student I can't even say "looking out for love, big, big love" without giving a shout out to Lindsey Buckingham or write under "A_Blues_Clue" without either acknowledging or citing my sources. If we remember the lessons of high school and cite our sources and become more forthcoming then there is no need for censorship. There is no need to be up in arms over what we can and can not see.

I am aware this is about much more than "citations" and "confusion" but this is one time Ole Blue will play along and give people the benefit of the doubt... 

No comments:

Post a Comment